Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Why I may have a future as a waitress, after all!

Hey y'all!

We had a lot of fun at our trivia night Saturday night. Two triva nights. My church's youth group, G3, or God's Glory Group, had a trivia night, but my Pathfinder club had a trivia night the same evening. So my family split up and my brothers and Daddy went to G3 and my Mama and sister and I went to Pathfinders because we had jobs to do there.

I was a waitress.

Many of you are probably gasping and shaking your heads.

Because most of you have probably heard my Mama's stories about her brief and humiliating stint, as a waitress.

And let me tell you something.

I inherit my Mama's waitress skills... Or, more accurately, lack of.

We were assigned table numbers. I was number 3 and had no one at my table yet. I thought it would all be easy, until people started showing up.

Well, there were only two people at my table. But that was plenty for me, let me tell you.

Me: "Hello, my name is Marina and I will be your server today. Can I get you anything to drink?"

Lady: "Yes I would like something with caffination, carbination, and lots of sugar!"

Man: "Water, please."

Me:"I will be right back with that, then..."

Trip as I go up to the counter. I was very clumsy yesterday. I get up there and look around.

Me: "Excuse me, but we don't seem to have anything with caffeine. Perhaps we have some in the 'fridge?"

Cook (looking at me like I am crazy): "Do you think we want a bunch of hyper teens? Of course we don't have anything with caffeine!"

I walk back to my table.

Me: "I am sorry, but we don't have anything with caffeine. Can I get you something else?"

Lady (with a "your crazy" look) "I will take some Dr. Pop, then."

Man: "Where's my water?"

Me: "Oh! I will be right back with Dr. Pop and some water!!"

Go back to the counter. After grabbing a water, looking around for some Dr. Pop and finding none, I ask Cook if she could get me some from the refridgerator.

Cook: "We don't have anymore."

Me (after I get back to my table): "I'm sorry, but we don't have any more Dr. Pop. Here's your water, sir."

Lady (giving me another "your-crazy" look): "No more Dr. Pop! Well, get me something brown and with lots of sugar."

Me: "Umm, okay!"

Now anybody who knows me knows that I wandered around the pop for what seemed like hours before my pineapple brain realized that sugar + brown makes Root Beer. Thankfully when I brought it back to her, she was pleased.

Pathfinders got to play trivia and serve tables in-between rounds. The first round talked about TV shows and movies and stuff like that. Again, everyone who personally knows me knows I live under a rock and that I won't know any of these particular answers. I was sitting next to a TLT (Teen Leader in Traning) who clearly has cable and watches this type of movie. He answeres a question, looks at me and says:

TLT: "Have you seen that movie?"

Me: "What movie?"

TLT gives me an "are-you-serious?" look.

Me: "Oh THAT movie! Uhh, no."

TLT gives me another "are-you-serious?" look. Through out the night I get several more "are-you-serious?" "and are-you-crazy?" looks, in addition to the four I had already gotten. I forgot to give a water bottle to a customer for three rounds and I re-told the lady we had Dr. Pop, forgeting that we didn't have anymore.

But I did get some compliments, too. From the same TLT I got ten "points" and a high-five for guessing (corectly ;o)) the word laryngitis (he guessed strep throat) and a compliment (of sorts) from him and another girl saying that I was very mature for twelve. And, as I was apologizing for forgeting the man's water for the second (or was it third?) time, he simply smiled and said

"That's OK, you're a lot of fun."

So, I may be a crazy pineapple who deserves all those "are-you-serious" and "you-need-to-think-these-through-more" and "your-excited-your-able-to-open-a-can?" and "you-run-really-funny-and-can't-kick-a-kickball-straight" looks.

But I know the word laryngitis.*

And I (can be) very mature.**

And I'm fun.***

Unique, one-of-a-kind, slightly dorky, very pineapple-y fun.*****



-**-*** I did not write this post to be braggy. No, you can see that from the first part of this post. I wrote it only to try and explain my craziness and the blank looks people give me all the time.



**** And, in case your wondering, I am fresh pineapple-y fun; not canned pineapple-y fun. Huge difference.